Wednesday, May 9, 2007

1st Blues – Floating vs Falling

Posting from the always bright-as-nails Prado Cafe on Commercial Drive...had a Palestinian sampusc this morning at the Victoria Cafe, chatting with Tamam, the lovely, half-Chadian cook who moved here with her film-maker husband a year ago. Mostly discussions about food, food culture, how strangely 'quiet' Vancouver is compared to cosmopolitan, downtown Jerusalem...

Just saw two shirts pass by: 'It Wasn't Me (seriously)', and 'Viva la Fraude'...curious...

Last night, caught Photography as Theatre plus Huang Yong Ping and Fred Herzog at the Vancouver Art Gallery...then the art fatigue started coming on (it was mobbed) though I did run into an old friend on exit, Karen, who's been working there the past eight months.

Outside, kids were practicing their B-Boy moves down on the ice rink. Tess called from the Island and we started talking about urban ecologies...initiatives to start seeding gardens (metaphorical and otherwise) in the urban core.

We've been working on our show for 67 Tempinis Satu Gallery in Bangsar Bahru, KL, for the KLip (KL International Photography) Biennale in late August, and I've been writing a possible catalogue entry for Alleys of Damansara Jaya, our photo/video installation which has been in process for the past year and a half. So we've both begun reflecting in our individual ways on that whole experience, of space and time and environment and ecological interactions (as well as personal interactions) within the city complex.

And then this morning I came across this arresting series, La chute, on the 3 Quarks Daily site, by inner city French photographer Denis Darzacq :




...which is somehow resonant with the video we've been working on (self-portraits levitating in alleys), except the notion of a 'fall' is quite distinct from 'suspension'.

Response to the writing has been good so far --- will post it when the show goes up. Sek San, who's hosting the show at his gallery, also gave us a heads up about a new residency at Malihom, in Balik Pulau, Penang. Up to six months paid accommodation with studios and large stamping grounds (on a former durian plantation, I believe). So we're going to start sending apps out for the summer of 2008. Tess is thinking a plant/garden/ecology project, and I'm wondering about extending work on The Heavens (sample attached to the previous post) to a possible video installation.

Which brings me to Jah Goink's Blues and what I'm trying to initiate (very slowly, today) here. An in-process journal of working and thinking and reacting to things. And partly a reflection of how my own working process has changed...less formal rigour, more dialogue, opening up to accidents and random-ness and chance and flow. There's this notion of engaged space that I'm trying to complement with all the other activities of daily life, especially the practice of making work as a form of meditation.

I'm trying to short-circuit the rational process of arriving at product, which I'm not very adept at anyway. A lot of these principals have been showing up in other areas of my life, in particular the idea of open work and open source. There'll be more, much more on this later.

Otherwise, the particular sense of life at this point is of leaning and loafing, a stark, welcome contrast to the experience of the New Year (after a most horrible 2006). Which allows me time to pursue all those non goal-oriented preoccupations which more closely accord with my metabolism (like staring at moss, or farting into a vacuum).

– J.G.

1 comment:

Starmandala said...

Staring at moss and farting into a vacuum taught me everything I know about life. Keep up the amazing resonances, Kajin! I'll add you to my blogroll so I can drop in as often as I wish :-)